In 2012, Daisi began delivering Soundwaves, funded by Youth Music the national music charity. The main focus of Soundwaves was to develop musical opportunities for young people in challenging circumstances in Devon and Torbay. Since then Daisi’s Soundwaves project has grown and developed and in 2017 we became part of The Alliance for a Musically Inclusive England (AMIE)
The impact that Soundwaves had between 2012 and 2017, showed the clear evidence that children and young people who were experiencing challenges in their lives through their immediate social, economic or geographic environment, physical or learning disabilities or other factors, found music to be a vital ingredient in bringing about personal and social change for them.
Click here to find out more about Soundwaves 2012 – 2017, including its impact and case studies.
“I’ve never made a CD of my own music in my life – I’m well proud of it”.
Rhys, resident, Esther Housing Community, Exeter
Where are we now…
In 2017, Daisi started the next phase of the Soundwaves project. The main focus is to develop sustainable, accessible and inclusive models of musical opportunities for those more vulnerable, hard to reach young people across Devon and Torbay.
Daisi’s role is to bring together and support people, places and organisations who want to bring the transformative power of music to the most in need. Daisi is doing this through a range of initiatives that include;
- Workforce Development – increasing the diversity within the musical workforce, finding and developing progression pathways for young emerging musicians, providing mentoring opportunities, music leaders network
- Developing resources and training to support music leaders
- Intensive test site projects – Newton Abbot, Torbay and North Devon
- Targeted projects – working in Pupil Referral Units (PRU’s), sheltered housing, working with young people who are NEET, the Youth Offending services, YMCA, Medical Tuition Services, Youth Clubs and many more
- Partnership with Devon and Torbay Music Hubs
- Partnership with other relevant organisations across the region
- Partnerships across the AMIE network
To read, see and hear examples of how Soundwaves is working within these different areas please follow the links below.